ga('send', 'pageview');

52A Unimix House

London NW10 7TR

Mon-Sat 9:00 - 20.00

Opening Hours


Working Tax Credit

Tax credits can be worth thousands of pounds each year. Eligibility depends on your household income, but you may be surprised how much you can earn and still qualify.

Tax credits are payments from the government straight into your bank account. Many people become eligible for tax credits when they have a baby. You can even claim them if you are posted abroad.  There are two types – Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit – and with a new baby you might be eligible for one or both. 

Working Tax Credit provides extra help if you work and you are on a low income. It is administered by the Revenue (HMRC), and claims must be made as a couple if you live with a partner, or on your own if you are a single parent. You claim Working Tax Credit with Child Tax Credit if you are eligible for both.

Working Tax Credit is based on the hours you work and how much you earn. It doesn’t matter whether you’re an employee or self-employed. If you go back to work after having a baby you might be able to claim Working Tax Credit to help with the costs of childcare.

You can only make a new claim for Working Tax Credit if either of the following apply:

If you cannot make a new claim for Working Tax Credit, you will usually need to apply for Universal Credit instead.

Eligibility depends on your age and how many hours of paid work you do a week. Your income and circumstances will also affect how much you get.

You could get Working Tax Credit if:

  • you are aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability
  • you are 25 or over, with or without children

With Working Tax Credit, whether or not you’re still eligible depends on your usual working hours before you went on leave, the length of time you’re off work and the hours your partner works.

The basic amount of Working Tax Credit is up to £1,960 a year – you could get more (or less) depending on your circumstances and income.

You can apply for Working Tax Credit even if you do not have children or you are on leave or about to start a new job.


Please note that you cannot claim Tax Credits and Universal Credit at the same time.


Contact us today for further advice and assistance.


Contact Us Today

People Learning Academy Ltd.

52 A Unimix House

Abbey Road

Park Royal

London NW10 7TR



Copyright © 1999 – 2018 People Learning Academy Ltd. All Rights Reserved